Challenge for you!

This topic has 5 voices, contains 7 replies, and was last updated by Cammi Feb 2nd, 8:17am ago.

Creator Topic
January 14, 2013 at 3:37 am #16905
Cammi

Okay, I got a challenge for everyone. I need help finding crockpot recipes. Here’s the thing-I’m currently working in Afghanistan. I have no access to fresh meat of any kind. Anything I can get is already cooked in the chow hall. I can access a good amount of fresh veggies, fruit is also more limited. I usually search for recipes and then attempt to substitute whatever I can, so I can’t usually follow the recipes exactly. Tomorrow, I’m going to try a recipe I found online for Spicy Chicken & Sausage soup. Of course, my chicken and sausage are already cooked, but for that recipe, I happen to have everything (I order occasionally from NetGrocer because they ship to APOs, but they won’t ship dairy, frozen, etc. over here).

I’m looking for ANY kind of recipes. Main course, dessert, soup, etc. Anything! I love to cook, but we don’t have access to normal cooking products, etc. I ordered the crockpot from Amazon (big, oval one), and we have a hotplate. Someone here already had a big pot, and I just got some fry pans in the mail from Amazon today.

So, that’s my challenge. As I said above, no access to uncooked meats, nor eggs, flour, etc. When I go home on R&R soon, I’ll pick up some flour and other basics. I have some canned tomato paste, canned tomatoes, some “cream of” soups”, and some uncooked noodles and rice. I can get my hands on sugar, salt, pepper. Things like lettuce, tomatoes, raw onions, peppers, I can get pretty regularly. They have Polish Sausage frequently, and the Italian Sausage, which is pretty good here, not so frequently.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
January 14, 2013 at 11:03 am #16918
KM S.

Cammi – this recipe has been well received, made with leftover chicken or canned chicken, your choice. If fresh cheese is a problem, sub with Velveeta. However, serves 8-10 (I have big family of teens to feed!), so adjust measurements as needed.
Slow-Cooked Layered Green Chile Enchilada Casserole
Serves: 8

INGREDIENTS
9 white corn tortillas, cut into quarters
9 ounces frozen southwestern cooked chicken strips, thawed,chopped
OR 1.5 Cups shredded/diced cooked chicken leftovers
OR 9-12oz canned chicken
1 cup chopped cooked ham
1 can chopped green chiles, 4.5 oz. ea. (add more to taste)
15 1/2 ounces great northern beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend, 8oz
OR 8oz Velveeta + 1Cup Spicy Salsa, chopped & mix together
1 cup chicken broth (more = soupy; less = casserole)
15 ounces kidney beans, drained and rinsed
Sour cream
Chopped tomato

Spray 3 1/2 to 4-quart slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Layer
3 tortillas (12 quarters) in bottom, overlapping. Top with half of the
chicken, half of the ham, half of 1 can of the chiles, the great northern
beans and 1/2 cup of the cheese. Pour 1/2 cup of the broth over
layers.

Repeat with 3 more tortillas,remaining chicken, ham, chiles, kidney
beans and 1/2 cup of the cheese.

Top with last 3 tortillas, 1/2 cup of the cheese, chiles and 1/2 cup broth.
(More broth = soupy; less = casserole-like)

Cover; cook on LOW setting for 6 hours. Serve topped with sour
cream, chopped tomatoes/salsa, remaining cheese. If desired, sprinkle
with chili powder/hot sauce.

NOTE:
Add in/substitute 1 can black beans, drained & rinsed.
Add in 1 can Mexican corn (niblets corn + diced red peppers).
Yogurt can be used instead of sour cream

Kathleen

January 18, 2013 at 10:21 am #17221
Crockin Girls Crockin Girls

OK…here is a crockin’ monday video where we did several different recipes. We even did a dessert. Would any of these work for ya?
http://crockingirls.com/recipes/cheddar-vegetable-sausage-casserole/
Happy Crockin’ to ya

Our Crockin’ Monday recipes would be a good place to start, Cammi!

January 18, 2013 at 9:41 pm #17250
Cammi

A lot of those look like they would work (with a few little adjustments here and there)!! Thank you so much. Right now, I’m making some soup for the gang. I have several leftover meat varieties (pot roast, prime rib (way overcooked at the chow hall) and two steaks), which I’ve chopped up. Along with carrots, celery, onions and mushrooms, thrown in the crockpot. I found a couple pouches of Lipton Onion Soup Mix and Lipton Onion and Mushroom Soup Mix, so have them in there too. Prior to finishing it up, I’m going to add some rice to it to make it heartier and to stretch it. It’s been cold here (we got a couple inches of snow the other day-truthfully, before coming here, I guess I wouldn’t have associated Afghanistan and snow, LOL), so the gang will welcome this! Thanks for the great recipes! I’ll let you know how they come out!!

January 18, 2013 at 9:48 pm #17251
Cammi

BTW, the Spicy Chicken & Sausage Soup I made (referenced in my original post) went over great!! Everybody raved and raved about it, and I think each day since, someone has asked when I’ll be making it again. I got a bunch more sausage yesterday, but still don’t have any chicken, so it’ll be a little while, but just had to let ya know! If I’m not mistaken, I got the recipe from Pillsbury.com.

January 28, 2013 at 8:50 pm #17686
Megan K.

Sorry for delayed reply, but I just thought of this one that would work for you. It’s mostly canned fruits:

http://crockingirls.com/recipes/baked-fruit/

February 2, 2013 at 7:59 am #17839
Jackie S.

Cammi, if there is a way to send me your APO address privately..I can send you a box of goodies once in a while to help out. I did that a few years ago to another person in Iraq, just a thought. You would have to let me know when you are there and when you are home on leave as I know it takes a while to get the packages.

February 2, 2013 at 8:17 am #17840
Cammi

That’s so generous of you. I drive my husband crazy looking at the ads and having him pick me up things, LOL.

I can’t figure out a way to send it privately, but not worried about getting a flood of mail either, LOL. Here’s my address:

Cammi A. Quinton
Fluor/ITT
FOB Bagram
APO AE 09354

I’ll be leaving on R&R in a couple weeks and be back the 2nd week of March. Other than that, no other plans to get out of here any time soon, LOL.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login here »