Black Bean and Butternut Squash Soup
I LOVE Chicken Tortilla Soup. It is my favorite soup ever and I just had to come up with my own recipe for it! I loved the idea of not cooking the chicken...
This recipe is quick and easy and very low in fat as well as calories. You can change up the ingredients to fit what your family likes.
A healthy spin on chili that is delicious! You can use ground beef, but the ground turkey makes it very lean. Great dish for fall! And easy to make ahead and...
Butternut squash is very nutritious and delicious. It’s a “winter squash” so is generally available autumn through winter. Butternut squash has a thin skin which is easily peeled off with a vegetable peeler. It's edible, if you are looking for extra fiber, but in the Crockin’ Girls kitchen we prefer this tasty squash peeled. After peeling, halve it and scoop out the seeds, then chop!
Submitted by Melissa Koren
- 1 can of golden corn, drained
- 2 cans of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can of diced tomatoes with chilies
- 1 can of fire roasted tomatoes
- 1.5-2 pounds of 1-inch cubes of butternut squash (deseeded &peeled)
- Half large white onion, diced
- 1 quart (32 ounces) chicken or vegetable stock or broth
- 2 teaspoons of garlic powder
- 5 tablespoons taco seasoning (add more or less if you want more of this flavor)
- A few dashes of Siracha or Hot Sauce (a little goes a long way!)
- Whole wheat, macaroni noodles (optional, if you’re watching carbs)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
Combine all ingredients into slow cooker
Cook on HIGH for 4 hours or on LOW for 6 to 7 hours, or until the butternut squash is cooked through and tender.
Optional: During the last 10-12 minutes, add half a box of uncooked whole wheat macaroni noodles. They’ll cook perfectly in the soup and stay nice and al dente.
When ready to serve, top with sour cream or, even better, hi-protein and lower fat plain Greek yogurt along with fresh cilantro.
Leave a Review
You must be logged in to post a comment.